Lipstick and Lucky Charms

My friend Max has a pair of lucky boxer shorts. He wears them when he has a big test or a big date or just needs to feel a little bit like the world is in his favor on any particular day. My friend Becca has a keychain that she keeps with her always and fidgets with whenever she’s doing important work. Another friend, Charlie, has certain songs he listens to whenever he needs to pump himself up, and others he listens to whenever he needs to get down to work.

hello, my name is Jordan and I look like a white girl
fall stereotype. 
I’m kind of fascinated by the idea of lucky charms and the things we do when we need to feel confident. The things we do to make ourselves feel better about the world and our place in it, even if we know that technically they don’t make any sense. 


Whenever I feel like I need a confidence boost I slather on bright red lipstick. Like the kind of lipstick that makes it look like I have done a very bad job of eating a cherry popsicle or drank the blood of my enemies or something equally ridiculous and awesome. I didn't discover this trick until last year, but I am officially hooked. 

In the late 1700’s parliament passed a law that said that women wearing lipstick were witches who were attempting to convince men to marry them and that they could be burned at the stake. Lipstick has always been a sign of power and mystery, and wearing something so bright makes me feel like I can take on anything.  I’m just grateful I don’t have to resort to beetles and fish scales like Cleopatra used to rock her signature red.
this post officially has two webcam selfies
and i feel no shame about it

Is it dumb to put so much thought in to my makeup choices? Maybe. Do I feel infinitely more capable of anything I’m attempting with blood red lips? Totally.


I know that my lipstick isn’t actually going to change the way that my day goes.  But sometimes believing in something gives you the confidence to make an actual difference. 

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment