Darth Vader Singing in Space

WOAHHHHHH! We’re halfway there! WOAHHHH! Livin’ on a prayer!

 Today is day 15 of Blog Every Day November. We've reached the halfway point, which obviously calls for a little Bon Jovi. There are very few situations that can't be improved by a little Bon Jovi, honestly. This has nothing to do with what I am writing about today, but i couldn't resist.

ANYWAY.

 “It’s on the death star… but a musical… and on a roller coaster… and in space… and kind of like Hamlet”

For real though, does it not look like he's about to break
out in song?
I hang out with a lot of theatre kids. And also a lot of very strange and dramatic kids, which is really the same thing. My friends always come up with ridiculous plans and ideas that sound insane on paper and in reality… are also insane. But in a fun way.


I believe it was towards the end of my freshman year of college when the idea for the play was born. Most of my friends were in an intensive Shakespeare class, and had been debating the quote "the pen is mightier then the sword" in relation to his play Hamlet. One of the boys stood up, unsheathed his imaginary weapon, and shouted “the pen may be mightier than the sword… but is it mightier than... THE LIGHTSABER?”

From this, we reached the obvious conclusion that a show about Darth Vader and Shakespeare dueling it out would be amazing. Everything spiraled from there. It would be set in space, obviously, but also on earth, so we need a rocker ship. And what if the storm troopers could tap dance?

I’m not expecting this show to get produced any time soon. For one thing, that would be literally impossible. But it’s fun to have friends who want to create weird and wacky things just for the sake of making each other laugh.

I want to do more of that. I want to create things for the pure pleasure of creating.

There’s that famous Dorothy Parker quote; “I hate writing. I love having written.” I don’t want to relate to that. That’s part of what this whole blogging every day thing has taught me—that if I can find things I love and care about, then writing- even on a deadline- will never feel like a chore.

I’m learning that I like to write. I like to get carried away in talking about the things I feel passion for. I’m learning to create fun and interesting things, just because they are fun and interesting.

I’m learning that maybe setting a Shakespearean musical in space is both a horrible idea and something I want to do very badly. 


Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment