Somewhere

Rural Ohio, which kind of,
sometimes feels like home
Sometimes if I squeeze my eyelids shut tight enough and wish really hard I can imagine that I’m sitting on a front porch watching people pass by.  I know every single one of their names. The weather’s nice—not too hot, and not too cold, with a soft breeze.  There’s a scent in the air of flowers that are just starting to bloom. I’m on a couch, probably, and maybe there is a friend with me; maybe there is a handful of friends, or maybe I’m there with a book, content by myself. I’m facing the street, but there’s no traffic. A car every 7 minutes or so, ambling by in no real rush.

When I close my eyes hard enough, I picture a place that isn’t here.

I spent a long time today just sitting outside my building thinking. It’s been under construction since before I moved in. The cranes and jackhammers just feel part of my routine by now; part of my normal view. The construction men that seem to never go home smoke their cigarettes slowly, laughing at jokes that I can’t hear. The dress I wore grazed my knees and I watched the lace create strange shadows on my thighs. The fabric was dark and my legs were pale and I shivered in the wind as I sat on the stoop outside in the dark.  I swung my feet back and forth, the flats on my feet were precariously thin and the headphones over my ears with music turned loud enough that I could pretend like the world immediately surrounding me doesn’t exist. Lyrics of Laura Marling songs weaving through my mind, the timber of her voice just low enough that I can feel it reverberating in my bones.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed by how big New York is. The sheer amount of people that inhibit this space.  The volume of people.  The volume of noise.


Somewhere in midtown, where
the buildings almost touch the clouds
I don’t think I’m a city person. I miss small towns and friendly neighbors and aimlessly walking late at night up and down safe but unfamiliar streets. I miss that comfort; that sense of place.
I feel unsettled here. Like this isn’t where I should be. Isn’t where I want to be. I don’t know where I want to end up, though. All I know when I close my eyes I see porch swings and aimless strolls at midnight.

Perseverance is a trait I admire, but I’m not so good at keeping at it. I can be flighty and unsure of myself. I can’t ever seem to settle down.

These days I’m starting to imagine a little more what that hazy, nebulous thing we call the future might actually entail.   Where will I be? What will I do? Will I be happy?


I’m starting to make those choices and narrow down those decisions. To take my life in a direction—down a highway for now; but one that offers lots of exits, lots of side streets and through-ways I could take. Maybe someday I’ll turn the car around. Maybe I’ll lose the map entirely. Maybe I’ll end up on the sidewalk on a small town, or the porch of an apartment of a big city. The choices are exciting and overwhelming, inspiring and scary.  And I am heading toward them every day.



Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, especially as I'm in the midst of yet another big transition myself. I love this paragraph: " These days I’m starting to imagine a little more what that hazy, nebulous thing we call the future might actually entail. Where will I be? What will I do? Will I be happy?" I wonder these things all the time.

    Wanna move to Cleveland? We can be friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend so much time thinking about moving to Cleveland. It's where all my best friends ended up. Maybe some day...

      Delete