A Happier Tomorrow

I’ve had a bad day.

That happens sometimes, I suppose.

Today the world has just felt a little too overwhelming. A little too scary. A little too insincere.

I tried to write a story. I tried to write some prose. I tried to write whatever was in my head, but the words wouldn’t come, and the number of word docs with 2 paragraphs or less open on my laptop right now is just about equal to the number of posts I’d have to write if I did Blog Every Day November for 3 years.

So, instead of a story, and because I desperately need it, here is a list of a few things that are making me feel good;

  1.       I tried a new recipe today. It didn’t come out very well, true, but I’m usually so intimidated by cooking that I don’t even attempt. I’m proud that I attempted. Attempting is a good first step.
  2.     I spent the few blocks it takes to walk to my subway stop listening to Laura Marling, which always makes me feel better about my place in the world.
  3.       I have a blanket that’s so soft that I feel like I’m covering myself in pure happiness when I pull it over my shoulders. It’s grey and large and covers me completely if I let it.
  4.     My uncle is coming up to visit me this weekend. I haven’t seen him in months, and he’s one of my favorite people in the whole world.
  5.    I get to see my brother in just a couple weeks. We haven’t been together since May, which is much much too long. The phone calls aren’t cutting it, and I can’t wait to give him a hug.
  6.      I found my cozy socks—which had, somehow, gotten lost in my bedroom—and I am never taking them off again, except maybe to wash them, but only reluctantly.
  7.    I have a job.
  8.     I have a couple jobs, actually.
  9. And an internship.
  10.    And other random gigs.
  11.    I have people who love me.
  12.    There is a warm bed, waiting for me to snuggle in to it.
  13.   I have Netflix on my laptop and tea in my mug, and an entire evening of pretending the word outside my covers doesn’t exist ahead of me.
Good night, world. Until a hopefully happier tomorrow.




Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment