Mom and Dad

I am very bad at math. Numbers just aren’t my thing. Two days ago I stood in a jewelry store with my dad as he searched for an anniversary gift for my mom attempting to work out how many years they had been married, and someone managed to get the number wrong.

As of today, my parents have been married for 23 years. The crucial mistake I had made in figuring this out was not in knowing how many years before I was born my parents got married (2), but in correctly remembering how old I am (21.) Whoops.

23 years is an impressive amount of time. Twenty three years ago the cost of a gallon of gas was $1.34. Twenty three years ago The Simpsons aired for the very first time. Twenty three years ago the Hubble Space Telescope orbited the earth for the first time. Twenty three years ago my parents got married, and are still together today.

My parent’s relationship has always impressed me. They love and support each other always, even though the ridiculous ups and downs in our family. Mom somehow puts up with my dad’s super lame jokes. Dad somehow deals with mom having to stop to every single person she knows everywhere she goes- which someone manages to be a million people at every given place.



This weekend my mom, dad, brother and I were all together for the first time in about five months. I’m always struck by how much my family cares, and the ways in which they express that love. We tease each other a lot in my house. We tell embarrassing stories and joke about the weird things we do and the dumb things we say. It’s a little unconventional, and to an outsider might seem a little mean, but it works for us because we know- under all the jokes and teasing- that we love each other. A lot.

My parents are two of the most inspirational people I know. Smart and strong and funny and encouraging. Always there to edit my papers or talk me down from a panic attack. They always know the right thing to say, and when I need a hug. Anyone would be lucky to have either of them in their lives. I am monumentally lucky that I get them both.

If I’m lucky, I’ll grow up to be half the person that either of my parents are. I know they’ve tried their hardest to help me out along the way. And I love them for it. And I’m so so lucky.


So happy anniversary mom and dad. Here’s to the 23 years you have had and to the many more yet to come. I love you. 

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment