Things I Want To Tell My Campers

Everyone who knows me knows that I work at a summer camp. It's gone so far past being just what I do, and become a big part of who I am. It's safe to say that I love it. And I'm incredibly lucky that it's something I get a chance to do. This past summer was my 4th year on staff, and getting the chance to see the kids who I love and care about continue to grow and change and develop and learn is probably the most rewarding experience I've ever had. So, to my kids who I love so dearly, I have a few words of advice:

1)     I know the s’mores may make your fingers sticky, but someday you’ll be 17 and the sticky sweet smell of marshmallows will bring you back to a time you never thought you would miss.
2)      You won’t remember the dance when you were 14 and the boy you had a crush on danced with someone else. You won’t remember the dance when you were 12 and you spilled bug juice all over nice clothes. You will remember the dance when you were 15 and your best friend just got dumped, so you spent the whole night sitting in the corner talking about how dances were stupid anyway, but you did get up to dance to the cha-cha slide, because no one can resist line dances and counselors in silly costumes.
3)      Always pack more socks then you think you need. Pack a ridiculous amount of socks. Pack every sock you own. If the resulting pile doesn’t seem overwhelmingly large, then go steal your sibling’s socks.
4)      Your smile makes me smile. I want you to be happy. Not just because it’s my job, but because you are unique and talented and funny and so distinctly you that I can’t help but love you.
5)      I still love you when you wet the bed. I still love you when you barf and I have to clean it up. I still love you when you are 13 and lonely and think that no one could ever love you at all.
6)      It’s ok to be sad sometimes. It’s ok to miss mom and dad. But remember that they love you very much and want you to be happy.  I want you to be happy too.
7)      The more you put in the more you get out. If you whole-heartedly throw yourself in to something ridiculous it will turn in to something incredible and memorable. The only time you belong on the sidelines is cheering on your friends in a gaga game.
8)      Invest in your friendships. Call! Email! Send a text! These kids are going to be some of the best friends you will ever have.
9)      I’m definitely not lying when I say that color war isn’t happening this year. I know I also said that last year, but I mean it this time!
10)   It’s a unique and powerful thing to get to be in a place where Judaism is the norm and not the exception. Don’t be afraid to embrace new songs and new prayers and new language and new people, because it’s something you can turn to whenever you need it.
11)   You will learn what skunk smells like. You won’t understand why this is important until you’re in college on a backpacking trip with your friends and you smell a smell that makes you think of bunkhopping and moldy towels. You’ll tell your friends to not go down that specific hill, and their confusion will turn to a strange admiration when they see a skunk lazily wander across the field.
12)   There is nothing embarrassing about singing The Lion King at the top of your lungs in a crowded dining hall if your friends are singing with you. Embrace the weird, and embrace the people who will embrace the weird with you.
13)   When your parents told me to return you in the same condition at the end of the summer in the same shape you came in I told them I would, but I was lying. If you go home the same, I haven’t done my job . I want you to be stronger and smarter. Full of love for things and people that a few weeks ago you hadn’t even known existed.  I want you to be kinder and more responsible. I want you to still be you, but a version of you that is more you than ever before.
Camp will always be there for you. This community is strong, and you are a part of it every single day. And you’re lucky. This community cares and loves and guides like none I’ve ever known. So remember- wherever you are, whenever you need it- camp will be there.

And I’m there too.
Every day.
Love you always. 



I really, really love these girls

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

1 comments: