25

I’m not good at love stories, which is funny because I am generally a fairly sappy person. I’m not like, rooting against love. I just don’t need to personally witness it. Basically what I’m saying is I never grew out of being the kid in The Princess Bride “Is this a kissing book?”

I don’t want to read the kissing book.

Today is my parents 25th wedding anniversary. To me twenty-five years seems like an unfathomable amount of time for two people to be together, but that’s probably because it’s longer then I’ve been alive.

The fact that this is my favorite picture of my parents is only minimally influenced by the fact that I took it.


My parents are spending their anniversary in separate places. My mother, home in Bowie, working the Bowie city elections. My father, in Orlando, working the URJ biennial. Mom’s flying out to Florida tomorrow, but even if they aren’t t together, their day still feels like an amalgamation of how they met.

The American Jewish Congress doesn’t really exist any more. But when it did, it was a combination of American politics and Jewish ethical and moral beliefs that managed to hook both of my parents in to taking jobs.

They worked together for a while, they worked other jobs, my dad went to law school, they moved a few times, they got married, had a couple kids, bought a house…..

A lot has happened in those 25 years.

I’m still not so in to the kissing stories, but I kind of like my parent’s. They balance each other. They still love each other. And they work together to bring all kinds of wonderful things (and people :]) in to the world.

I’ve gotten a lot from my parents. My crazy hair and my bad eyesight. My loud laugh and my politics. My need to always be right and my desire to make people laugh. My bleeding heart and my bad attitude. I’m grateful for all the gifts they have given me.


So congrats to my parents on 25 years. Here is to many, many more.

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment